The Fall Prevention Conditioning Program offered by Cornerstone Physical Therapy is a therapy program designed to increase independence with functional activities, functional mobility, and safety awareness while decreasing fall risk.
Research has shown that a successful Fall Prevention Conditioning Program must be multi-dimensional. A program must address all underlying factors in addition to strength and balance.
Our Fall Prevention Conditioning Program uses valid and reliable assessments to determine all the factors affecting each individual’s fall risk. Therapy is then focused on reducing the factors and decreasing fall risk.
Our Fall Prevention Conditioning Program is consistent with the protocols recommended by The American Geriatrics Society and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Panel on Fall Prevention Guidelines.
Fall Prevention Conditioning
- Increase Independence with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
- Increase Independence with Functional Mobility
- Decrease in Fall Risk
- Prevent Future Falls
- Increase Safety
- Factors Assessed
The program is designed around each individual’s needs. The length of the program is dependent on the severity of the symptoms and the goals of each individual. The following is a general program guide.
- Evaluation to determine the needs and goals of the patient.
- Set up a treatment plan with patient input.
- Therapeutic interventions designated to decrease symptoms and establish a Home Exercise Program.
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Therapeutic Activities
- Balance Training/Proprioception Training/ Gait Training
- Patient Education
Continuation of therapeutic interventions with the addition of:
- Energy Conservation Techniques
- ADL Modification
- Adaptive Equipment Training As Needed
- Home and/or Safety Assessment As Needed
Continuation of the program until the patient’s goals are met.